Friday, June 27, 2014

Odds and Ends, again!

This is a blog about odds and ends.

First, I have to clear up an incorrect statement from my last post.  When I was talking about preparing decorations for the last party, I had said that I asked a friend to tell me the Arabic word for adventuress.  I said that she did, and I put it on a poster, and a guest said that was not the word for adventuress, but it was something like "out of the cave".  So, my poster became "Karla, out of the cave".  I had thought that it was just that the words in Arabic for Adventuress and Out of the cave must be similar.  Well, it turns out that my friend had given me the correct word, "ilmughamara", but on my notepad where I began trying the word in different script styles, I left off two letters after the first iteration, and it became "ilmughara" .  It was ME who put Karla in the cave!!!  :(
 

The writing didn't come out very well in the copy process, but this is the evidence. 
 
The next thing that I wanted to post about is the different styles of attire for men, mainly headdress,  of the different Middle Eastern countries.  When I am travelling and I look at the male headdress, I try to figure out where they are from by the color and style.  Now, I can whip out this handy chart and know.  Or, maybe, I should just memorize it.  :)
 
The last thing is something that I learned when my friend, who is moving to Houston, The Woodlands, wanted to ship her dog back.  She was told that the dog's flight was cancelled.  After many frantic calls, she found out that it was because of the "heat embargo".  When I asked what that was, I was told that there is a heat embargo from shipping animals to Houston in the summer.  Her dog can go to Washington DC and other places, but not places in the South where the tarmac gets so hot.  The thinking is....that even though the pet is flying in an air conditioned cargo area, when the cargo is unloaded, it is possible that all of the cargo might sit outside for 30 minutes or so and the pet might be in severe stress.  And, of course, the airline does not want that responsibility.
 
I learn something new everyday!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment