Friday, January 3, 2014

Wedding #3: Part 1



This will be a series of three blogs about planning and executing a wedding and the ancillary activities that go along with it.  For those of you who have not done this, it is a marathon.  Many people begin their planning more than a year in advance.  We had decided to do this about 5 months ahead of time.

Devin and Shane were married by a judge in Appleton, WI in March 2013.  Shane and her parents were planning a big wedding in Nanjing, China in Sept 2013.  Since most of our family and friends would not be able to travel to China to celebrate with us, we decided to host a wedding reception in December 2013 for Devin and Shane in New Orleans where most of our relatives live.  This would be the THIRD celebration of their wedding!!
Below is the photo from the Appleton wedding ceremony:
Next, a photo from the wedding in China:
 

So here is a breakdown of everything that goes into the making of a wedding.

VENUE

In the summer, my sister, Anna, suggested a venue.  Her best friend, Nancy, had connections with a venue on a canal just off Lake Pontchartrain.  Caitlin, Devin and I went to see it and liked the versatility of it.  It would work well for a small wedding.  It had several rooms, a bar, and a deck that surrounded it which was on the canal leading to the lake.  There was also a fountain, twinkling lights on the trees and there were several seating areas outside.  It turned out that Nancy got us a great discount!  The wedding guest list went from around 70, easily handled in the venue to around 130, where we would also need a tent.  New Orleans is rarely cold for Christmas, so I thought chances are it would be warm this Christmas for the wedding and everyone could enjoy the view outside of the sailing marina, the yacht owned by the owner of the Saints, the yacht club, the lake, etc.  Well, as the day of the wedding came near, first it got very cold, and then it began raining the day before!  So, we ordered a tent with clear sides so that you could see the twinkling lights on the deck and heaters to keep it warm.  That was just the beginning of all the planning for the wedding.

The venue had an incredible wedding coordinator.  She said that she could do as much or as little as I wanted.   While I was still in KSA, we coordinated by email what the flowers should look like, the color of the tablecloths and table toppers, the table arrangements, candles, limos, tent, etc, etc.  She not only got things done, she had wonderful suggestions and was such a fun and easy person with whom to work.

WELCOME BASKETS
The picture below shows some of the baskets and paraphernalia to make them.

 I needed to make 14 welcome baskets for those family and friends who were coming from out of town and staying in the Hotel Provincial with us or a recommended Marriott in Metairie.  It turned out that many more people came in from out of town but I didn’t know where they were staying.   In each basket, I put mostly Louisiana products:

2 bottles of Abita Springs water

1 mini bottle of red wine (not from Louisiana, unless I wanted to do a strawberry wine)

1 mini bottle of white wine (same as above)

2 plastic wine glasses

2 New Orleans pralines

Amaretto and sesame seed cookies from an old New Orleans Italian bakery, Angelo Brocato’s

2 bags of Zapp’s Voodoo potato chips (spicy)

I picked up the pralines at a little shop in Metairie with an adorable older lady running the shop and her granddaughter helping her.  When I kept finding out that more people were coming from out of town, I needed more baskets, and had to go back several times for more pralines.  When I would walk into the shop, the older lady would say, “You need more baskets?” with a smile.  The last time that I went was a few days before Christmas and they were making party baskets which also had pralines.  I wanted 4 more pralines, but they didn’t have any more made.  So they robbed some of their baskets that they were making for parties for the pralines, then the older lady grabbed a huge pot and said that she guessed she had better get busy and make more pralines!  My niece and goddaughter, Kristina, and her boyfriend sweetly offered to deliver them for me on the days that the guests arrived.

WEDDING FAVORS

The next project, which was bigger, was to make favors for the wedding.  I had sent Shane 3 ideas for wedding favors and she picked one that had small bottles filled with a flavored sugar with a tag on it that said “Sweet of you to come”.  I looked up recipes for flavored sugar and found vanilla sugar, cinnamon sugar, peppermint sugar and a few others that I was not interested in at all.  I decided on vanilla sugar.  I thought it would be easy to use in coffee, tea, making cookies, etc.  You basically split a vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape out the paste inside the bean and mix it with the sugar and let the mixture sit for 2 weeks to enhance the flavor.  I thought that it sounded easy and would taste good. 

The number of people coming to the wedding was between 95-130 people.  It seemed to be a constantly shifting number.  I ordered 128 mini clip top jars.  I measured the dimensions of the bottles and calculated the volume in cubic inches.   I then went online to determine how many ounces/pounds were required to fill 128 bottles of that volume.  I was shocked when it calculated 50 lbs!  I thought that it must be a mistake.  I went back online to one of those converter websites and again came out with 50 lbs.  I thought “Oh no!  This is going to be expensive.”  The sugar would be one thing, but vanilla beans for 50 lbs of sugar would be very expensive.  The recipe called for a few vanilla beans per 2 lbs of sugar.  Luckily, my sister, Anna had a contact in restaurant supply.  I was so relieved to go there.  We found a 50 lb bag of sugar for $17.  Anna and I each had to take an end of the bag to pick it up and put it on the pallet.   I wish that I had asked Ms Antha (Anna’s mother in law), who was with us, to take a picture of us getting it onto the pallet.  J  We could not find vanilla beans, just vanilla extract.  My sister asked and they said it was UNDER their counter.  She brought them out and the price was so much more reasonable than what you get in a grocery store.  They sold a cylindrical container with vacuum packed bags of about forty 12” long vanilla beans for $20!!  I bought two containers.  In a regular grocery store, it is two small 6” vanilla beans for over $10.

For the next few days, I made the vanilla sugar.  Of course, the tedious part was slitting each vanilla bean lengthwise and scraping the paste into the sugar.  I think that I filled five 2 gallon zip loc bags.  I left the scraped pods in the sugar to impart more flavor for the two weeks that it “marinated”.    In the meantime, Shane and I washed and dried the 128 bottles.  I wanted to put a tag on each bottle saying something like “Sweet of you to come” as I had seen online, but more personal.  Ken is my “go to guy” for poems/rhymes/toasts, etc.  I asked him to come up with a 4 line rhyme having to do with vanilla sugar to put on the favor tags.  He came through with:

Your coming was so sweet

To celebrate our fete

So here’s a bit of sugar

Mixed with some vanilla.

Just a farewell simple farewell treat.

 

 

Shane and Devin had decided that the theme of the wedding would be Sunset at the roof of the World.  To go along with that theme, the colors of the wedding would be a particular blue and a particular orange of a sunset that they had seen on their honeymoon in Tibet after the wedding in China.  They gave me a picture that they had taken of it, so that I would know the colors.  I decided to use that picture on the other side of tag.  One side of the tag would have the poem and the other side would have the picture from the Tibet.  I got the Avery tags at Office Depot and created the 128 favor tags. 

Next step was to get the right colored small blue flowers to tie around the neck of the bottles with the tag.  I found the flowers at Michael’s but they need a little pizzazz, so I glued very small white flowers into the centers of the blue flowers.  Two weeks later, my niece and godchild, Kristina, and her boyfriend, David helped me fill the bottles.  Then, I tied the flowers and tags on the bottles with a thin blue ribbon.  I found a cute wooden chest at Garden Ridge Pottery and put some shredded orange paper in the bottom for cushioning and an ethnic looking scarf, which I borrowed from my sister Anna, across the bottom and over the sides of the box.  Then all the bottles were placed on top of that to make a pretty display.  The favors were done!!  Quick side note:  I did not need 50 lbs of sugar.  I only needed about 25 lbs, so there was lots of bagged vanilla sugar to give away.  I think that when I measured the volume, I should not have measured to the top of the bottle, only to the neck.  L

I bought a small matching chest to contain notecards where guests could write down best wishes and advice to Devin and Shane.  Some of those pieces of advice were very interesting.  I am going to scan the cards into files and make a poster for them and frame it.

ALCOHOL & LIBATIONS

The venue did not provide alcohol, which is good in that you can save money, but a pain in the butt in physical labor and logistics.  DeeDee, the wedding coordinator, had suggested that I go online and find tables to determine the amount of liquor and soft drinks needed for a wedding.  I printed out the tables from two different sites and they were a little different in their amounts.  Anna and my brother in law, Dieter, entertain quite a lot.  I showed the lists to him and asked him what he thought.  He looked at the list and said, “This is a little light for a New Orleans wedding” and increased everything.  J

On the Monday before the wedding, Devin, Shane and I went to Sam’s Club to get the alcohol, tonic water and soft drinks.  That was crazy!  We had two pallets full of alcohol, with Shane and Devin maneuvering them around Sam’s aisles.  Well, it all would not fit in the 7 passenger van that I had rented to transport our Chinese relatives around town on our excursions.  I had to call my sister and ask her to bring her Cadillac Escalade for the overflow.  At Anna’s house, we had 5 of us unloading it into Anna’s game room and then 7 of us bringing it to the venue two days before the wedding.  Unfortunately, I was so busy at the wedding making sure that I visited with everyone, I only had a ½ glass of wine and a sip of champagne.  L

FOOD

DeeDee had recommended a caterer.  By email, we had hammered out a tentative menu for the buffet.  When I arrived in December, my daughter and I went to do a taste testing and it was good.  This was the menu:

Hors d’oeuvres to pass:

Duck empanadas

Stuffed mushrooms with Italian sausage

Parmesan chevre cups holding 3 chevre cheese balls rolled in mint, cranberry and candied hazelnuts.

Buffet:

Fruit and Cheese display

Couscous with tzatziki sauce on the side

Mixed Grill:  Beef filet, chicken breast, grilled shrimp, blackened redfish and pork loin

Rolls, butter and sauces for meat

Chicken and Tasso Pasta

 

I had good reviews from everyone about all the dishes except the grilled redfish.  It was way too salty!

 

WEDDING VIDEO

Shane created an adorable video to show throughout the wedding with pictures of both of them growing up, him mostly in the US and her in China, followed by pictures of the wedding in China, then their adult life together..  It was accompanied by really sweet music.  There were 3 TV’s at the venue, but they did not communicate with each other.  So Dieter went a few days before to figure out the playing of the 3 copies of the videos simultaneously.  He also was in charge of the video at the wedding.  Thank goodness, because I do not do electronics!  J

CUPCAKE TOWER

Shane decided that she did not want a wedding cake.  She wanted a cupcake tower.  My sister, Anna and I went to a bakery called Bittersweet Confections to try the cupcakes.  They had a wonderful selection and the owner was so easy to work with.  We selected white chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel icing.  We could have had them stuffed, but that was way too sweet.  I ordered royal blue cupcake liners.  The bakery owner said that she “did not do cupcake towers”, that I would have to get one and have it assembled.  I ordered a 7 tier maypole mirrored step cupcake tower that had the top layer set up for a small 8” cake.  In that way, they still could have a cake cutting ceremony.  It was pretty.  The morning before the wedding, Caitlin and I arrived at the bakery at 7:30 am and assembled the tower.
Here is the top of the cupcake tower:

DJ

The DJ that normally would have performed at the venue was not available that night.  I was in KSA feeling frustrated with trying to find one from across the world.  Ken suggested that we ask his brother’s best friend who is a DJ part time.  I thought that was a great idea because we had been to parties when he DJ’d.  We contacted him and thankfully he said yes.  Devin and Shane sent him all the songs that they wanted and he was great.  There was one computer crash with the music, but it came back up!

PHOTOGRAPHER

For the photographer, I remembered that Anna’s friend, Nancy (the one who got us the venue for a very good price), had a nephew who is a photographer.  He took family pictures of our entire family under the oaks of City Park a few years ago and did a great job.  He agreed to do it and did and awesome job!  He went above and beyond getting me the pictures before I left for KSA.  At the end of the wedding, I asked when I could get the pictures.  He said in a week or so.  I told him that I would be leaving for KSA in 3 days, that he would have to deliver them to my sister.  He said that he would try to get them earlier, but could not promise anything.  The wedding was on Saturday night, and on Monday night we were at Ruth’s Chris Steak house entertaining our Chinese relatives on our last night together, when he shows up is Tommy, the photographer!!  He not only got the photos done and on CD’s, he hand delivered me 5 sets at the restaurant!!  He is absolutely awesome!

 

NEXT BLOG:  PICTURES OF THE ACTUAL WEDDING!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment