Tuesday, August 27, 2013

South Indian lunch

I have needed to have my hair trimmed and styled for a few weeks, especially before I go to China for my son and daughter in law's wedding celebration.  I am not quite ready to go to a Saudi salon.  I would like to know that I can communicate clearly what I want done.  :) We have a hair salon on this compound, but no hairdresser.  The other compound has a hairdresser but she had been on vacation in the US since June.  Well, she is back!  My friend, who also needed her hair trimmed, made an appointment for us the 2nd day that the hairdresser was back.  I called my other friend who lives on that compound and asked her if she wanted to meet us for lunch at their restaurant after we got our hair cut.  Instead, she invited us to her villa for lunch!  (You know my stories usually involve food.)  When we arrived, she had made a feast of south Indian dishes.  She also showed us how to make Dosa, similar to a crepe or thin pancake, made from a batter of fermented ground rice and a special type of lentils. 
 

 Normally, it is made in a cast iron pan.  But like most of us here, she does not have her normal equipment.  So she used a pan and olive oil.

She fixed a dish made with cream of wheat and many vegetables.  It sounds a bit strange, but it was great.  There also was a coconut chutney and a cabbage dish and a couple of other dishes.  It was a spicy, wonderful meal!
 

 


 My friend showed us how to eat using the dosa.
 
 
My plate and me:
 
What a great afternoon!!

 

1 comment:

  1. I see you had Knives and forks. I believe it is quite polite to eat with your fingers. It appeared that way for most of the population. Think of the dishwashing you could save. Love Monica

    ReplyDelete