Sunday, September 29, 2013

Toilets!!

Many people will consider this an odd, maybe even inappropriate topic, but since toilets help with an essential part of life, they are important.  :)

I had been told about the toilets in Saudi Arabia and just avoided going to public toilets for a couple of months.  They are often just holes in the ground, but flushable.  There is usually a hose and nozzle hanging on the wall, even if it is a regular toilet, to clean yourself. Often times, the floor of the stall is completely wet, with standing water.  So, if your abaya is too long, you come out with an abaya with wet edges. I have one abaya that is longer than the other.  So, if I think that I might have to go the bathroom while out, I wear the shorter one.  I guess this is a different version of the bidet, but much more powerful.  :)

I remember when Mom visited me when we were living in Belgium, we took a weekend trip to France.  Mom had to go to the bathroom when we were in a little country town.  The bathroom that we found was like the ones described above, a hole in the ground.  We laughed so many times over the years recalling Mom's hijinks in trying to get her pants off because she could not squat properly. 


Here is a picture of a toilet at the Jeddah airport:
 I don't understand how you use the hose and not have to have a towel to clean up.  Usually, there is no toilet paper, so you bring your own.  But a towel?
I was curious what the toilets would be like in Dubai, a beautiful city in the United Arab Emirates.  They actually had both types of toilets, but still with the hose. 
 I decided to test the hose because it looks pretty heavy duty.  So, as you can see below, it has a pretty high flow rate.
I guess the local people have it down to a fine art, but I know that if I used them, I would come out soaking wet.

I was curious what the toilets would be like in China.  Well, they are like the Saudi toilets but without the hoses.  Sometimes the stalls have designations, a picture of a woman squatting over a hole or a woman sitting on a toilet, which was very helpful.  Here is a picture from China.
Hopefully, I have not grossed you out, I just thought that I would share one of the more personal aspects of being here.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment