Saturday, July 13, 2013

Date Harvesting

Apparently, this is date harvesting season.  There are many trees on the compound that are loaded with bunches of hanging dates.


  Near my friend, Karla's back patio, some workers came to harvest the dates.  Here are a few of the pictures that Karla took of the operation.


They are not ready for eating.  She was told that they still need to be hung up outside on the patio to dry for a couple of weeks.  Here are a couple of pictures that I took of dates drying on patios around the compound.
 


Karla gave out strands from her bunch.  This is mine drying on our patio:


Yesterday, Ken and I were walking around the compound at night and we saw a different kind of palm tree with a different kind of date.  These were yellow.  I looked it up.  They may be called Barhee dates.  There are several things that the red ones could be.  Anyway, here are pictures of the yellow dates:
So, I took a strand to match my red strand and now they are both drying on our patio.

One of the ladies on the compound who has been in Saudi Arabia for a number of years prepares a fish dish stuffed with a date paste.  I am going to try making that, but I will probably have to buy more dates.  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment