Friday, May 31, 2013

Big shopping trip to get things for the house

There are things that we really need, but I haven't been able to get because it is too much to carry on the bus-mixing bowls, casserole dishes, toothbrush holders, pots for a kitchen herb garden, etc, etc.  So, Ken called his driver and Ken, Chris and I went to the mall.  Ken had timed it so that it would be after the noon prayer, so that we would have a lot of time to shop.  We left at noon and got there at 12:30.  It was already so hot.  I had not been out shopping during the middle of the day.  On the drive along this major street, they have these big clamshells (not real) with a big white light bulb that look like pearls.  I love them!  One day, I will be ready to take a picture as we whiz by.  Also, maybe, one day I will see them lit up at night.  When we got to the mall, it was still prayer time so the shops were not open.  We went to the ATM which was actually outside of the mall.  With the black abaya and scarf around my neck and the heat, it was stifling hot.  Anyway, the shops opened and Ken and I went shopping. Chris went and did his own thing.  I found a cute blue chair and table set for our back patio.  It is a pretty blue and will brighten up the back.  We asked a young man to get a set for us from the back.  While waiting for him to come back, I heard an announcement, first in Arabic, then in English, but the only part that I understood was "10 minutes", then the lights dimmed.  I told Ken "I think something is happening.  The lights dimmed.  I think they are closing."  He said, "No, the next prayer time is not for another 2 hours."  Then the manager came up and told us they were closing that we needed to leave. Ken asked why, it was not prayer time.  He said that they always close at 2 pm and re-open at 5:30 pm.  I guess it is like their siesta time.  We went to the checkout but told them we were waiting on our table and chair set.  Everyone else had now checked out and were waiting for us. We were a little conspicuous, 2 carts overflowing with stuff twiddling our thumbs waiting for the set.  Finally, he came and they checked us out and the helpers brought our carts out to the curb outside.  (Oh, and I need to make a correction from a prior posting.  They DO take credit cards here, but often times they don't work, so you need backup cash.)  Our driver was not scheduled to come for another 15 minutes.  It was HOT!  Chris called him and he came a little early.  It was ridiculous fitting all this stuff into his car with the 4 of us.  I should have taken a picture!  Then he took us over to Star Food Market.  I needed pita bread to take the layers apart and make baked tortilla chips for a party that night.  I was making 7 layer Mexican dip and I have not found tortilla chips yet. Chris got his hair cut.  Ken, because he is The Finder was able to find walnuts, which I had not been able to find.  Well, when we got back into the car, I was starting to feel a little faint.  I had not brought water with me in my purse, which I will have to make sure that I do every time I go out.  I just wanted to rip the abaya off to breathe.  I knew that we would be home in about 15-20 minutes.  When we entered the compound,the abaya came off!  Black in the desert is not a very kind thing.  Anyway, the patio set looks so cute on our little patio now!  It makes me happy when I see it.  :) We need to get another set to have 2 more chairs and then use the 2nd table on the patio upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment